Holmeswood Methodist Chapel

Coming soon ...

 

 

 

 

Minister: Rev. Michael Tindsley

michael.tindsley@methodist.org.uk

A Brief History of School

A fund for the building of the school was started by the community and local business in 1898.  The idea for a school arose when there was concern that the local children had to walk to Rufford C. E. or Mere Brow in all kinds of weather.

 

The treasurers for this fund were William Lyon and Ben Wainwright.  Fund raising events were a great success and three foundation memorial stones were laid by Mrs. Southworth of Southport, Mrs. Halsall of Holmeswood and Henry Jones Esq. J.P. of Ormskirk, on the 24th August 1898.  The school was opened in 1899 accommodating 96 children up to 14 years of age.  

 

The School’s original name was "The Wesleyan Day School".  However, in 1950 it became a Lancashire County Council Controlled Methodist Primary School.

 

(Information provided by Mrs L Watkinson of Holmeswood, whose grandfather was a founder member)

Holmeswood Headteachers

Period Name
Jan 1899 to Jul 1906 Edith Hurst (nee Naylor)
Aug 1906 to Dec 1909 Emily Ashcroft (nee Linton)
Jan 1910 to Aug 2014 Beatrice Richardson
Sept 2014 to Feb 2015 Marguerite Parsons
Mar 2015 (temp) Ellen Anderson
Apr 2015 to Mar 1918 E. Beamish
Apr 2018 to June 1918 (temp) Margaret Grosvenor
Jul 1918 to Aug 1927 Mary Popplewell
Sep 1927 to Oct 1927 (temp) Margaret Edlund
Nov 1927 to Oct 1929 Mary C. Thompson
Nov 1929 to Jun 1933 Theodora Hutchinson
Jul 1933 (temp) Margaret Bisset
Aug 1933 to Aug 1959 Janet Dandy
Sept 1959 to Dec 1963 Enid Rushton
Jan 1964 to Dec 1970 N. D. Turner
Jan 1971 to Dec 1976 Thomas Alty
Jan 1976 to Aug 1992 Pamela Johnson
Sept 1992 to Aug 1993 Margaret Brown
Sept 1993 to Aug 2005 Michael Taylor
Sept 2005 to present    Relph Higson

 

Chapel Lane, Holmeswood, Nr Rufford L40 1UD

01704 821360

head@holmeswood.lancs.sch.uk